An Artist’s Reception celebrating the opening of “The Paintings of Mary White” will take place on Sunday, April 28 at 3:30 pm, immediately following the matinee performance of Tapestries.
After moving to Door County, artist and actress Mary White and her husband, actor Mark Moede started Theatre M, their own theater company. Mary has been painting the peninsula for about ten years an began painting in the outdoors, en plein air, several years ago. Those outings present challenges not found in the studio: rain, snow, heat, cold and the trickiest element, the wind. Currently Mary is represented locally with regular showings at Plum Bottom Pottery in Egg Harbor.
Indiana born, Mary lives in Jacksonport, Wisconsin by way of New Jersey. Recently, she studied art at the University of Wisconsin, Green Bay campus. She attended Indiana University, studying Communications and Theater and subsequently discovered a passion for scenic painting. While living in New Jersey, she worked with a number of theater companies behind the scenes and on stage.
The following personal artist’s statement is Mary’s description of the paintings included in the current exhibit at TAP:
by Mary White
These paintings are a reflection of some things I like. These include:
- Lots of snow in February.
- I like days when everything looks like a black and white photograph as I head home to a cozy fire, good food, and the company of Daisy and Mark.
- The brave wild turkeys forging across the snowfield despite the weather. I like the way they run.
- Naked trees and moss on rocks.
- The lakeshore year ’round.
- May Forget-Me-Knots in Peninsula State Park.
- Cows. I like their blocky shapes and the way they hang out together so nicely.
- Bayshore Blufflands, a Door County Community Land Trust Preserve.
- Bright orange and red berries, zig-zag branches with lichens, all things round – berries, apples, oranges, dots.
- I like experimenting with materials, colors, and ideas.
The Third Avenue Playhouse (TAP) is currently exhibiting the paintings of Mary White in their lobby gallery, now through June 1.
TAP proudly displays the work of Door County artists on a rotating basis throughout the year in their lobby gallery. The Gallery is accessible during TAP’s regular box office hours, Monday – Friday from Noon – 5 pm and on any performance days (including Saturdays and Sundays) from Noon ’til showtime. TAP is located at 239 N. 3rd Avenue in Sturgeon Bay, telephone 920.743.1760 for more information.