Tickets are now available for the seventh annual Golden Heart Volunteer Celebration to be held Thursday evening, April 30, at Stone Harbor Resort. Harry Sydney, founder of the non-profit organization, My Brother’s Keeper, Inc., and 3-time Super Bowl champion is the keynote speaker. Women’s health advocate, Marti Spittell Ziegelbauer, will return as event host. This event honors outstanding volunteers in our community, recognizes the importance of the organizations through which they work, and supports the Volunteer Center’s programming.
The 2009 honorees in the six categories are:
- Youth – Briana George, Sara Hasenjager, Joey Maier, John Parent, and Wesley Schwartz..
- Adult – Elizabeth Gierhahn, Jan Scoville, Scottie Weborg, and Lynn Zawojski.
- Lifetime of Service – Marjory Allingham, Dan Bayevich, Jane Delcarson, Diane Jome, Elfriede Leporte, Arvid Munson, and Jean Tesser.
- Group – John & Margaret DeVault, Shirley and Bob Rauter, Mike and Carol Toneys, Comfort Food Volunteers, Habitat for Humanity Construction Volunteers, Lions Club Vision Screeners, Neighbor to Neighbor Volunteer Caregivers, and PFLAG
- Door County. Leadership – Dick Clark, Margorie Grutzmacher, Sue Todey, and Marlys Trunkhill.
- Arts & Culture – Bill and Renee Bauernfeind, Michelle Holdridge, Gerry and Nan Krause, Therese Meredith, Peninsula Music Festival Sustaining Committee, and the Tug John Purves Crew.
During the celebration, each honoree will be individually recognized and given an art piece designed by Tara Niko Rossman. The six award recipients will receive an art piece from Plum Bottom Pottery and $500 to give to a Door County charity of their choice.
The Volunteer Center of Door County is pleased to present this event with the support of these major sponsors: Bay Shipbuilding, Door County Advocate, Door County Memorial Hospital, the Fred J. Peterson Foundation, Ross Law Office, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, and Woodrow Engineering. Tickets for the dinner and program are $30 and available in advance only by contacting the Volunteer Center at 920.746.7704. To learn more about volunteer opportunities in Door County, visit the Web site.